Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Gumpy

I used to dream of being the kind of grandma who baked cookies with her grandchildren. Today, as I cut up pumpkin to make puree, my 2 year old grandson was right beside me, very excitedly yelling “pumpkin!” (Except it sounded like, “Gumpy!”) He watched me take the seeds out of the “gumpy” (but declined to get his fingers messy and do any himself).

Even Storm, only 5 months old, got in on the action.

And I thought, “Here I am, living that dream of being a hands-on Grandma.” In my imaginations, I didn’t bake and cook with them EVERY day. Frequently, but not every day. But I’m so glad I get to do it. I enjoy them more than I can say.

The flip side is that I intended to do all kinds of projects today, and what I actually accomplished was...making pumpkin puree and making dinner. I cleaned up messes, took them out to play in the snow, held them while Alisha took a shower, and did laundry.

I got frustrated that I didn’t get to tackle more of my many planned projects because slowing down and going at the kids’ pace so they can be involved in your life is, well, slower.

But I wouldn’t have it any other way, because going full circle back to my third paragraph, I enjoy them more than I can say. (And sometimes, in the moment, when I think I'm finally going to get caught up on the dishes and the toddler pushes the chair up to the sink and says, "Please" and takes over my dishwater with his matchbox cars, I have to remind myself of that).

Usually, I stay up later than Alisha and the kids, and sleep in later than them. That gives me time to spend with my teens, who also stay up late. It also gives me time to catch up on things that went a little slower during the day because of my delightful helpers.

So tonight, Alisha took the boys up to bed, and I sat back on the couch, feet up, getting into “Grand kids are in bed so now I can relax” mode, and Tripp came down the steps. Wearing his robe and nothing else. “Hi, Tripp,” I said. “What’s up?”

“Lunch,” he said.

“Lunch? You want to eat lunch?”

“Yes!” he said.

“Right now? You want lunch right now?”

“Yes!” he said.

“Do you want mashed potatoes and sauerkraut?”

“Yes!” he said.

And so I made him lunch. Even though I Did. Not. Want. To. Get. Off. That. Couch. Because I am blessed that he’s here, and that I get to be so involved in his life. And because how cool is it that a tiny little guy can go get his grandma for “lunch” any time he wants?

No comments:

Post a Comment